Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Cuz

Uhh, yo.
I know it's been a while since I rapped at ya, but ... naw, I got no excuses.
Check this out. Vampire bats are, naturally, the awesomest of all bats. But I just heard this business on my Quirks & Quarks podcast and couldn't get over it.
A rare South American bat turns out to have a spectacularly long tongue. At up to 150% the length of its body, it is proportionally the longest of any mammal. ...Such a small animal has had to evolve a way to store the tongue. “I had all sorts of theories, such as perhaps the tongue folded up inside, or coiled, or maybe its lower lip was critical somehow,” says [the awesomely named] Mucchala. It turned out that the tongue extends down into the bat’s chest, and its base is between the heart and sternum. When extended, it stretches by up to three times its stored length.
Listen to the show here:
>>> Quirks & Quarks - December 9 - the bit about the long-tongue-having-bat

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home