Thursday, August 03, 2006

Thp thp thp thp thp

That's the sound of bat-wings flapping over the everglades.

I've been reading a lot of peak oil bullshit lately. I got started up into by reading a piece in Harper's last week about peak oil and now it's got me all freaked out. I mean, it's not like I hadn't heard about it all and everything, I try to stay up on the environmental crap without turning into a hippie but this is some scary shit.

To be honest though, the scariest thing (at least right now) about peak oil is the cassandras who are harbinger-ing (harbinging?) the end times. I mean, these people are almost taking delight in the doomed-ness of the planet in a smug, self-satisfied way. It's a bit annoying, but it's almost enough to make you wanna start digging a shelter in your basement, y'know? I mean, to think that these nerdy kooks are going to be arming themselves and dispatching any intruder on their amassed pile of spam... well, the Penguin may be the least of my troubles.

I find myself strangely and pervertedly drawn into the whole excitment of the conspiracy quite despite myself. I try to take solace and still acknowledge the whole environmental depletion sitch by listening to the likes of Mofro.

I think it's really unfortunate that these guys have chosen the most unintentionally self-sterilizing name in music. But listen... This is the sound of the canary in the coalmine - this is the sound of Florida's gulf-coast being turned into a parking lot.

>>> Mofro_Blackwater.mp3

It's huge, sorry. Also, I forgot to do that file-naming thing we said we'd do so... well, I'll try to remember for next time.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry batman, read "The Bottomless Well: The Twilight of Fuel, the Virtue of Waste, and Why We Will Never Run Out of Energy". It was recommended to me by a guy sitting in a bar named after a greek songster. Initially, I confused it with "The Well of Loneliness" which is something else, altogether. Not having read it, I have no idea what it says but I think the title alone will assuage the tiny Homer-Dixon who lives in each and every one of us.

02:51  
Blogger Vampire Bat said...

woohoo! a legitmate comment!

after such comment spamming, 'tis nice to meet/read you miss hall.

like a real connection was made here, someone felt compelled enough to respond.

makes me think of this song.

stereoMCs_get_connected.mp3
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=C34CE5A80604A9E8

just for you.

06:50  
Blogger Vampire Bat said...

Mister The Impaler is so effusive.
Thanks for the advice, Miss Hall. Do you make a habit of accepting reading tips from strangers in 'Vangelis' (or was it Yanni? Nana Mouskourri?)? I don't doubt that the book would make me feel better about peak-oil (but it does sound a bit Lou Dobbs-ian...) but I'm more concerned about your safety in the public houses of your hometown. You shouldn't talk to strangers. They could be recommending any manner of horrible books to you.
Personally, I don't accept book-reading advice from anyone but Dracula. I've known him a long time and have only seen him in a bar a handful of times.

17:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent. I saw these guys circa high school with Morrisey (when he was still asexual).

17:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ker-pow!!! Batman, indeed. In that case, I doubly ironically recommend it because after his glowing précis of the book in question, my barman quoted some highly ridiculous statistics. It does have a Dobbsian feel to it, but the Amazonians seem excited. I plan to read it never lest it warp my fragile little mind.

17:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home