Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Columbus discovered Japanese Death Jazz

Okay, I think I've smoothed things out with Mr. Dracula - it's my fault though really for being a lazy (but in my defence, also busy) poster. Still, I feel kind of bad for taking so long to get the YSI thing sorted out and the piece of junk computer I've got back in the Batcave kept crashing, 'sti.

The tune for the day is 'Sabotage' by
Soil & Pimp Sessions. It's from their second full-length album which, on the spine of the CD self-identifies as "Death Jazz".
BBC 1's Gilles Peterson claims to have discovered these guys on the club scene in Japan - that kind of statement always rings like Christopher Columbus discovering North America. It's not like the Native people weren't already eating yams and maize and dancing to some tight, loud funk before he sailed the ocean blue, right? I don't know, maybe he did discover them. I sure didn't. Not until I climbed through the convoluted maze of Japanese commercial record-buying and magically found myself in a loud store run by very quiet punks.

Would you check out that cover? I was buying it for the cover alone! I have no idea what that animal is but it seems to be their mascot, it's on all the B-sides and EPs and seems appropriate once you hear the music. This serene, mythical beast will be the one in the corner of the chill-out lounge holding your drink and waiting for you to finish dancing. And dance you will. I get my arms all tangled up in my cape whenever this comes on from dancing so hard.

>>> Soil_and_pimp_sessions_Sabotage.mp3

Put that in your ear and smoke it.

I have no idea what'll be next but I do promise to try to make it sooner. F'real. Or, as I just learned Paul Wall is accustomed to saying: trill.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»

11:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home